返回列表 回復 發帖

29/01/2008 07:37, Report by Ben Hibbs

Irwin: We can get past Arsenal

Reds legend Denis Irwin has backed United to get past Arsenal and book a place in the FA Cup quarter finals.

The Reds were handed a tough fifth round draw at home to the Gunners. But it could be a chance for United to exact revenge for 2005’s FA Cup final defeat on penalties.

Irwin, a three-time FA Cup winner during 12 seasons at Old Trafford, believes that, despite it being possibly the hardest available draw, United have the quality to get past Arsene Wenger’s side.

“It’s a one-off match, and what a huge cup tie it will be,” he told MUTV.

“It’s a tough game because Arsenal are clearly a very good team. They went through a little patch where their performances dipped. But Emmanuel Adebayor has picked up the baton for them and they’ve come out of that spell.

“But we’re in a rich vein of form ourselves,” he added. “If we can play with our usual tempo and style I think we’ll go through.”

It’s the 10th consecutive FA Cup tie in which United have faced Premier League opposition, but Irwin says the real bonus is that the Reds are at home.

“We’re at home, so that will hopefully work in our favour. We’ve got to take advantage of that because the manager won’t want a replay.”

28/01/2008 14:18, Report by Steve Bartram

Boss hopeful over Manucho

Sir Alex Ferguson is confident that Manucho’s fine form in the African Cup of Nations will facilitate a successful work permit application for the striker.
The 24-year-old’s move to Old Trafford is pending approval, and his haul of three goals in Angola’s opening two tournament matches will no doubt aid his cause.
“It just adds to the fact that we’ll get the work permit easier, I’m sure of that,” said Sir Alex. “He’s got a talent, the boy, there’s no question about that. It’ll be interesting to see how he does in the rest of the tournament.”
With the work permit application still to be approved and Angola seemingly set to progress into the quarter-finals, Sir Alex admits it is unlikely that Manucho will feature for United this season.
“It’ll be too late, really, by the time we get him back and get a permit,” he said. “We’ll probably farm him out somewhere else for the remainder of the season.”
29/01/2008 10:16, Report by Ben Hibbs

Red View: Carrick exclusive

Michael Carrick has fond memories of his time at Tottenham and admits he hopes his former club go on to beat Chelsea in the Carling Cup final.

However, having already helped knock Juande Ramos' side out of the FA Cup, Carrick won't be doing old friends any favours in the league at White Hart Lane on Saturday.

"It's good to see Spurs reach the Carling Cup final," he tells Red View. "I hope they win it. I had great times there and still have friends there. But on Saturday it's just another game we have to win."

Read more from Michael in this week's official newsletter. John O'Shea also recalls his goalkeeping heroics last season, and exciting prospect Danny Welbeck talks about himself on and off the pitch.

Members, look out for Red View in your inbox later this week. Otherwise, sign up here.

This week in Red ViewExclusive: Michael Carrick on the threat of facing Tottenham twice in a week

Trickbox video: We've picked out some of the best tricks and flicks from the cup win over Spurs

Inside the camp: John O'Shea writes for Red View as he recalls donning the goalkeeper gloves at White Hart Lane

Youth Profile: We speak exclusively to exciting young Reds striker Danny Welbeck

Plus... all the usual match stats and this week's Red View poll.
Papers: Mind games begin
29/01/2008 09:45

Wenger sparks Utd Cup war
Arsene Wenger has cranked up the mind games again with Sir Alex Ferguson after they were paired in the FA Cup fifth round. Arsenal boss Wenger insists Manchester United could regret last week’s money-spinning jaunt to Saudi Arabia. And he said: “You switch off when you are away in a different country. So the focus could go a little bit.” Fergie’s men flew to Saudi to play in a testimonial — for an £800,000 payday. And they were far from their best when they returned to beat Spurs in the fourth round on Sunday. Wenger insists his club would never have made such a trip — whatever cash was on offer. He added: “In the short term you can suffer as you need time to adjust.”
Shaun Custis, The Sun

Meanwhile, Sir Alex has told Cristiano Ronaldo he is up for a pay rise — if he hits 30 league goals! "Achieving that would be more difficult and it’s a big ask — but if he does manage it, I’ll pay him more money!"

Carlos Tevez says is loving every second of his United strike partnership with Wayne Rooney. The Argentine, who has scored 13 goals for United this season, said: “Rooney is phenomenal. He was one of those who treated me best when I arrived. He would come and talk to me and was concerned about me."

The Mirror claims Patrice Evra is on a collision course with United after allegedly demanding a £120,000-a-week contract.
Round up by Gemma Thompson

29/01/2008 09:02, Report by Ben Hibbs

Baros eyes OT bow

Portsmouth's January loan signing Milan Baros wants to make an instant impact and help his new club cause an upset at Old Trafford on Wednesday.

The Czech Republic striker joined the south coast club on loan this week from United's Champions League last 16 opponents Lyon.

With the European Championships in Austria and Switzerland on the horizon, Baros has switched clubs in search of first-team football so he can cement a place in the Czech national team.

The former Liverpool striker has been thrown in at the deep end for Pompey, who face United on Wednesday, then Chelsea on Saturday, but he insists he will be giving his all to take something from the two matches.

"I'm focused on what we can in these next two big games," he told the Pompey's website, www.Portsmouthfc.co.uk.

"It will be a tough game against Manchester United but you never know what can happen in football.

"They're the favourites to win but we have nothing to lose. We have to go to Old Trafford with confidence, not just with the attitude to give up.

"You need to fight and get a little bit of luck as well. But we're going there to hopefully take something."
29/01/2008 22:13, Report by Nick Coppack

Sir Alex: All bets are off

Cristiano Ronaldo’s form is so good United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is refusing to enter into any bets with the Portuguese winger about how many goals he’ll score this season.

Ferguson famously paid out at the end of the 2006/07 campaign after the Reds’ no.7 found the net 23 times, smashing the manager's 20-goal target to finish joint top scorer alongside Wayne Rooney.

This season Ronaldo has outdone himself once again, passing last term’s tally before January has even finished. All the talk now centres on George Best’s club record of 32 goals from midfield and whether 22-year-old Ronaldo can overtake the Irishman.

Sir Alex’s targets have undoubtedly provided added motivation in the past, but the United boss believes a place in the history books is incentive enough this time around.

“No way!” the Reds boss told Manchester United Radio when asked if money would change hands should Ronaldo surpass Best’s record. “Being a Scot, I value my money.”

Ronaldo took his season tally to 25 with a double against Tottenham last weekend, although neither goal is likely to feature in his career highlights reel. Not that his manager cared…

“The boy has been fantastic recently,” Sir Alex said. “Against Spurs he showed great composure in taking his penalty kick at what was an important time in the game. His second goal was a goalkeeping mistake but if you don’t shoot you don’t score. He was rewarded for that mentality."
30/01/2008 10:30, Report by Steve Bartram

Reds have staying power

Sir Alex Ferguson has seen enough recent evidence to suggest that his United side has the endurance to keep fighting on all fronts over the remainder of the season.
United have posted five successive wins after December's defeat at West Ham, and are looking increasingly strong in the closing stages of games - much to the manager's delight.

Sunday's victory over Tottenham took the Reds into the fifth round of the FA Cup, progression that augurs well alongside top spot in the Premier League and a berth in the Champions League second round.
“I think every team goes through the December programme and there is a draining effect on everyone, every team gets it,” Sir Alex told the press.
“What’s encouraged me is that at Aston Villa in the last 20 minutes, Newcastle in the second half and Reading we looked strong. Reading make you run more than any team does, but we were so strong in the last 20 minutes again.
“That’s given me the encouragement that this is a powerful team we’ve got, who can endure gruelling competition. I’m encouraged by that.”
Paul Scholes' return against Spurs leaves only Louis Saha, Gary Neville, Ben Foster and Mikael Silvestre on the sidelines, and Sir Alex is happy that his squad depth is able to cope with whatever obstacles the second half of the season may bring.
“I’ve got Paul coming back, so we’re happy with the squad we’ve got, happy at the competitive factor in picking teams at the
moment, especially in the midfield area,” he said. “It’s not easy when I’ve got so many choices.
“But my experience at this club is that when the season comes into the Saturday-Wednesday-Saturday-Wednesday situation, then you need everyone, and everyone will play their part.”

30/01/2008 06:44, Report by Ben Hibbs

Nani: I'll play my part

Portuguese winger Nani says he is ready to play whenever Sir Alex Ferguson calls on him, but says patience and a determination to develop are key attributes in this stage of his United career.

Nani joined the Reds in the summer and, despite starting six of United’s first ten games of the season, has found regular appearances more difficult to come by. He has started just three of the last matches for the Reds.

However, the 21-year-old expected a gradual learning curve. And in an interview conducted in English, which shows he has developed an impressive grasp of English, Nani told MUTV that he is sure his time will come.

“It’s a long season so some of the players will get tired,” he said. “But we have a big squad and if we change one player it is not a problem because the players that come in do a good job.

“I am confident that, if I play, I can do well for the team. I have to wait for my opportunities and I knew that was the case when I joined. I don’t see it as a problem.”

Nani is in direct competition with United stalwart and stand-in skipper Ryan Giggs for the left wing position, a player he has great respect for.

“I am new at this club and players like Ryan Giggs have played for United for many years,” he added. “Giggs has a great history at this club. I just have to wait for my time to come and when it does I have to show that I can play well.

“I am OK and I feel settled at the club. I think I have improved a lot since I started. And as I get more games, more training and more time learning I will keep on improving as a player."

29/01/2008 09:05, Report by Nick Coppack

Carrick: This week is vital

United may have been drawn with Arsenal in the FA Cup fifth round on Monday but Michael Carrick’s focus is on the immediate future.

The Reds welcome Portsmouth to Old Trafford on Wednesday night before travelling to London on Saturday to face Tottenham for the second time in six days. United ended Spurs' FA Cup dream on Sunday with a 3-1 win courtesy of goals from Carlos Tevez and Cristiano Ronaldo (2).

“Weeks like this can define a season,” Carrick told Manchester United Radio.

“If we can get the three wins we’re aiming for then we’ll be in good shape.”

Carrick did afford a quick glance to the future, admitting he’d love to reach the FA Cup final for a second successive year.

“A club like United is in competitions to win them and we’re now starting to look towards Wembley. Of course, you don’t want to get too carried away because there are tough games ahead.

“But we want to be there again come May, especially because we came so close last season and lost right at the death. We’re determined to put things right this season.”
Papers: Just like '99
30/01/2008 10:13

On a par with '99
Harry Redknapp believes his Manchester United counterpart Sir Alex Ferguson has created a squad which is close to matching the treble-winners of 1999. Redknapp believes it is a mark of Ferguson's quality that he can continue to deliver teams capable of competing at the very highest level, typified by the famous Champions League-winning side of almost nine years ago. "Alex has done a fantastic job there, hasn't he? I was at Bournemouth when I first met him 20-odd years ago and the team he's put together now could be one of his best," said the Portsmouth manager. "He's up there with all the great managers; Cloughie, Shankly, Busby – all the greats. Alex is not far from having another team as good as the one which had David Beckham, Roy Keane, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs in his prime and won the treble," Redknapp added. "But with Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand and the rest of them now it's another fantastic team. You can't write off Chelsea and certainly not Arsenal but, for me, United are still favourites to take the title again."
Bill Pierce, The Independent

The Sun claims Sir Alex has demanded that the Old Trafford pitch be relayed. The club will reportedly have to shell out around £250,000 to get the pitch redone in time for the Manchester derby in 11 days’ time.

Meanwhile, the Telegraph reckons United sent scouts to Sporting Lisbon's game with Porto at the weekend, allegedly watching Lisbon’s Miguel Veloso and Porto’s Jose Boswinga.
Round up by Gemma Thompson
31/01/2008 07:19, Report by Ben Hibbs

Carrick glad Scholes is back

Michael Carrick was pleased to see Paul Scholes back pulling the strings in the middle of the park, even if it does mean more competition for places in midfield.

Scholes made his first start in over three months since damaging knee ligaments in October - his 550th appearance in total - and looked as sharp as ever, orchestrating United’s attacking moves in the 2-0 win over Portsmouth.

For Carrick, Owen Hargreaves, Anderson and Darren Fletcher, it could mean less playing time, but none of them look on the 33-year-old’s return to action as anything other than positive.

“It’s great to have Scholesy back,” Carrick told MUTV. “We have been getting good results without him in the team, so to have him back now is a boost to everyone.

“He’s a top, top player. You saw against Portsmouth what he can do, and he seemed to fit in like he has never been away. It’s great to see him back.”

Carrick insists that all five central midfielders at Old Trafford must not count the word ‘dropped’ as part of their football vocabulary.

“Every one of the midfielders is playing really well,” he says. “But we all know that we’re not going to play in every single game. But it’s not a case of getting dropped, it’s about resting players and keep everyone in top shape and in good form. That’s certainly the case at the moment. Hopefully we can all stay sharp for the run-in, that will only help us.”
31/01/2008 09:51, Report by Gemma Thompson

Boss stunned by Cup draw

Sir Alex Ferguson admits he was stunned to learn United had been drawn with yet another Premier League side when the Reds were paired with Arsenal in the FA Cup fifth round.

Incredibly, it'll be the tenth time in succession that United have faced top flight opposition and the Reds' boss jokingly suggested it is becoming more than just a coincidence.

"I just can't believe it!" he told MUTV. "Everyone thinks the draw is fixed so BBC can get the best game - I'm beginning to wonder!

"I think there were four ties that came out before ours without us, Arsenal or Chelsea and I was thinking 'oh come on, surely it can't happen?'

"Nevertheless, I always say you can't ask for any more than a home draw. The build-up will be enormous and I'm sure there will be interest from everyone all over the world. Sometimes these games can disappoint, but I'm sure it'll be a fantastic Cup tie."

31/01/2008 07:17, Report by Ben Hibbs

Welbeck relishes his chance

United’s teenage striker Danny Welbeck is targeting more involvement in the Reds senior team after being given a taste of first-team action on the recent trip to Saudi Arabia.

The skilful 17-year-old striker, who was part of the squad that reported for duty against Portsmouth, made a distinct impression as a substitute in the 3-2 friendly defeat to Al Hilal in Riyadh last week.

Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson says Welbeck, an England U17 international, will now be regularly involved with the first-team and could be given his competitive debut before the end of the current season after being handed the squad number 47.

For Welbeck, it was back to Under-18 duties last weekend, scoring the first goal in a 3-3 draw with Everton.

“I’m trying to get as many goals as possible,” he told MUTV. “I scored again for the U18s and I want to keep on scoring goals.”

But the lure of first-team football is intense, especially after his experience in the Middle East.

“It was great,” the Manchester-born forward declared. “The players and the coaches were all really welcoming. They helped me get through it all. The training was so quick, but it was a good experience.

“It was a shame that I missed the penalty, but I’m over that now. I hope I can be involved with the first team more often, which can only help me improve as a player.”

30/01/2008 22:34, Report by Adam Bostock

Ronaldo: His best goal yet?

Cristiano Ronaldo believes his stunning free-kick goal against Portsmouth could be the best of his career so far.

In a post-match interview, United's leading scorer pondered: "It's difficult to say but maybe this one is the best. It's my style to shoot like that - sometimes it's a goal, sometimes not. I'm very proud to help my team."

Opposition goalkeeper David James could only shrug his shoulders after being beaten by the pearl of a setpiece. The former England goalkeeper looked awestruck and he wasn't the only player to feel that way.

Ronaldo's team-mate Michael Carrick told MUTV: "I was in the wall, trying to block David James' view. I just turned around and saw it go in the top corner. It was a fantastic free-kick, probably the best one he's scored. It was nice to see it fly in.
"He practices an awful lot and obviously  the more you do that, the better you'll get. A few have flown in this season and I don't think that's down to luck. We all know the ability he's got. Hopefully he can keep that going for the rest of the season and score a few more."

Reds defender Nemanja Vidic added: "It was unbelievable. I think it was the best goal I've seen in a game I have played in."

Sir Alex Ferguson also gave Ronaldo's 13th-minute strike top billing, telling MUTV: "That must be the best free-kick in the Premier League.

"It was a marvellous hit. It was within two inches of the junction of the crossbar and the post. No goalkeeper in the world could possibly save it."
30/01/2008 23:15, Report by Adam Bostock

League: Pool pay penalty

The race for the Barclays Premier League title is looking even more like a three-horse race following the midweek results.

Chelsea joined United in recording a home win, 24 hours after Arsenal did the same against Newcastle. Michael Ballack's goal was enough to beat Reading at Stamford Bridge.

Liverpool, however, slipped up when they lost 1-0 at West Ham. Mark Noble converted a last-minute spot-kick following Jamie Carragher's foul on ex-Arsenal star Fredrik Ljungberg.

"For them to score from a penalty so late on was terrible," moaned Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez. "We now need to think about the next game."

United's next league opponents, Tottenham, earned a point away to Everton. The latter remain in fourth place but they're now ten points adrift of Chelsea in third.

TeamPGDPTS1 Man Utd24+37572 Arsenal24+32573 Chelsea24+21534 Everton24+17435 Aston Villa24+12416 Man City24+641
Barclays Premier LeagueResults: 29-30 January

Chelsea 1-0 Reading
Derby 1-1 Man City
Everton 0-0 Spurs
United 2-0 Portsmouth
West Ham 1-0 Liverpool
Arsenal 3-0 Newcastle
Bolton 0-0 Fulham
Middlesbrough 1-0 Wigan
Sunderland 2-0 Birmingham
返回列表