返回列表 回復 發帖

23/12/2007 13:12, Report by Gemma Thompson

Injured duo back for Boxing Day?

Sir Alex Ferguson hopes to have both Rio Ferdinand and Owen Hargreaves available for the Boxing Day trip to Sunderland, but Edwin van der Sar is definitely out.

All three watched from the stands as the Reds secured a 2-1 victory over Everton on Sunday, and van der Sar could now miss the rest of the festive fixtures because of a groin injury.

"We hope Rio and Owen will be ready for Wednesday, but Edwin is out for the next two or three games with a groin injury," confirmed Sir Alex Ferguson on MUTV.

"We'll have a different team [at the Stadium of Light] and I'll freshen things up a bit with one of two changes.

"I've got players like [Darren] Fletcher, [John] O'Shea, Nani, [Louis] Saha and Ji-sung Park who is back in the squad now. They're all fit and fresh so we've got a few options. I won't make a lot of changes, just one or two."
23/12/2007 13:04, Report by Steve Bartram

Report: United 2 Everton 1

Cristiano Ronaldo kept his nerve to nudge United within a point of leaders Arsenal when he stepped up to score a late winner from the penalty spot.

It was Ronaldo's sixteenth goal of the season and his second of the game, having fired the Reds in front midway through the first half when he cut inside to unleash a left-foot rocket past Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard.

The in-form visitors drew level just five minutes after Ronaldo's opener as Tim Cahill firmly headed home Steven Pienaar's left-wing cross, only for the South African to needlessly foul Ryan Giggs with two minutes remaining and give Ronaldo the chance to seal victory.

The result was deserved and hard-fought for a United side bereft of Edwin van der Sar, Rio Ferdinand and Owen Hargreaves through injury.

They were replaced by Tomasz Kuszczak, Danny Simpson and Michael Carrick respectively, with Wes Brown moving into the centre of defence and Simpson occupying the right-back berth.

Despite the enforced reshuffle, it was United who settled quicker in a fraught opening. Although the Reds were applying plenty of pressure, the main story of the opening 15 minutes was referee Howard Webb's decision  to dish out four bookings.

Wayne Rooney and Patrice Evra entered Webb's notebook for clumsy fouls, while Cahill and Tony Hibbert were both cautioned within a minute for the visitors.

Carlos Tevez then saw a shot deflected wide before Ronaldo opened the scoring
with a scorching effort after 22 minutes. The Portuguese winger collected a crossfield pass from Tevez, cut inside and duly thumped a 25-yard shot past the motionless Howard and into the top corner.

It was the sixth successive home game in which Ronaldo had struck for the Reds, but the visitors were level almost immediately. Pienaar was allowed time to pick a cross from the left-wing and Cahill sprung superbly between Evra and Nemanja Vidic to plant a header past Kuszczak.

The Australian's equaliser sparked United into life, and the Reds could easily have gone into the interval ahead. First Joleon Lescott had to be alert to head Rooney's clever chip off his own goal line with Howard well beaten, then Ronaldo volleyed just over after a slick interchange with Giggs.

John O'Shea replaced Simpson at half-time as the Reds continued to make the better chances. Howard, in his first appearance against United since leaving Old Trafford, had to be on his toes to save well from Anderson and Tevez.

Carrick was replaced by Saha as Sir Alex Ferguson chased a winning start to the hectic Christmas period, but Everton's defensive resolve looked set to win the visitors an unfancied point.

When Rooney's shot from the edge of the area clipped the roof of the net, it seemed a draw was inevitable. With two minutes remaining, however, a winding run from the excellent Giggs saw him foolishly upended by Pienaar inside the box.

Referee Webb had no choice but to point to the spot and, after a lengthy,
nervy delay, the coollest head inside Old Trafford promptly hammered a shot home, sending Howard the wrong way and keeping United within touching distance of the top.

United: Kuszczak, Simpson (O'Shea, 45), Brown, Vidic, Evra; Ronaldo, Carrick (Saha, 71), Anderson (Fletcher, 86), Giggs; Rooney, Tevez. Subs not used: Heaton, Nani.

Bookings: Rooney, Evra, Anderson.

Everton: Howard; Hibbert, Yobo, Jagielka, Lescott; Carsley, Cahill (Anichebe, 85), P Neville, Pienaar; Yakubu (Gravesen, 76), Johnson. Subs not used: Wessels, McFadden, Nuno Valente.

Bookings: Cahill, Hibbert, Pienaar.

23/12/2007 15:34, Report by Steve Bartram

League: Gunners win again

Danish striker Nicklas Bendtner scored with his first touch to give Arsenal a narrow victory over Tottenham in a pulsating North London derby.

The Gunners were afforded a huge let-off by their visitors who, after Dimitar Berbatov had equalised Emmannuel Adebayor's opener, saw Robbie Keane miss a penalty with the score at 1-1.

Fernando Torres struck twice again for Liverpool as they got back to winning ways against Portsmouth at Anfield. Yossi Benayoun and a Sylvain Distin own-goal were the Merseysiders' other goals, while Benjani replied for Pompey.

Scott Parker struck an injury-time winner for West Ham at Middlesbrough, giving the Hammers a 2-1 win after Dean Ashton had earlier levelled up David Wheater's opener.

A controversial late goal from Stephen Hunt gave Reading a 2-1 win over Sunderland, although replays could not conclude that the ball had actually crossed the line.

Second half goals from El-Hadji Diouf and Nicolas Anelka (2) gave Bolton a 3-0 win over Birmingham, while Aston Villa and Manchester City fought out an uninspiring 1-1 draw at Villa Park and Fulham also drew with Wigan by the same scoreline.

24/12/2007 07:10, Report by Gemma Thompson

Rooney savours sweet win

Wayne Rooney says United's 2-1 victory over Everton on Sunday was extra special because it came against his former side.

A Cristiano Ronaldo brace gave the Reds a vital win over a dogged Toffees side at Old Trafford.

Rooney, who made the switch from Goodison Park in the summer of 2004, savoured the victory and also paid tribute to team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo for his part in the win.

"Of course, it is extra special to beat my old team," he told MUTV.

"There is a bit of banter between myself and the Everton fans. Sometimes I come out on top, sometimes they do. But the most important thing is that we got the three points.

"I watched Cristiano practice penalties in training on Saturday and he put every one in exactly the same place. That is why he practices," he added.

"His first goal was a great strike. We all know what he can do, so there is no surprise there."

The Reds are now preparing for their Boxing Day trip to Sunderland and Rooney is expecting another tough encounter.

"We always have hard games at Sunderland," he said. "Their fans are good and always get right behind the team, which makes it difficult for us.

"They are at the wrong end of the table, so they will be fighting hard to get some points. Hopefully we can the result we want."

24/12/2007 07:00, Report by Adam Bostock

Reds' low-key ChristmasUnited's players will perfect their passing on Christmas Day in the interests of picking up three points in the Barclays Premier League on Boxing Day.

The O'Shea and Rooney families, for example, can expect John and Wayne to pass when offered extra potatoes or another portion of pudding. Over-indulgence is off the agenda when there's a big match to play at Sunderland 24 hours later.

John told MUTV: "You can have a small bit of Christmas dinner but not too much!

"The manager makes sure the players look after themselves and prepare for the Boxing Day match in a professional manner. So we can’t enjoy Christmas Day perhaps as much as other people but that’s a small price to pay for playing at a club like United."

Wayne agrees: "You couldn’t have as big a portion as everybody else but apart from that, it's still a normal Christmas dinner with your family.

"Then you have to leave for the hotel. I imagine that's harder for the older players with kids. But at the moment it’s fine for me personally - I’m just going out to play football which I love doing so I’ve no problem with being away at Christmas."

24/12/2007 07:04, Report by Gemma Thompson

Owen relishing festive test

Owen Hargreaves is used to sunning himself on a beach at this time of year, but the midfielder is instead hoping to be back in action for the Reds on Boxing Day.

Throughout his career with Bayern Munich Hargreaves has enjoyed the benefits of a winter break. This year is his first taste of Christmas in the Premier League and he says he's relishing the challenges ahead.

"I'm used to having three weeks off and being on the beach in Miami or Hawaii at this time of year, but I'm glad I won't be there this time because I want to play my part to help the team be successful," he told MUTV.

"It's a new experience for me and it's a very difficult period from what the lads have told me. This is my first time of experiencing it and I'm looking forward to being involved.

"We all know how important this period is in terms of the title race. So our goal over Christmas is to win every game."
Papers: As good as it gets
24/12/2007 08:11

Ronaldo is my perfect player
Sir Alex Ferguson hailed “perfect” Cristiano Ronaldo after the winger lifted the gloom following Manchester United’s nightmare week.
After the bitter fall-out from the United players’ Christmas party – and Arsenal’s win over Tottenham on Saturday – Fergie’s side desperately needed three points.
And Ronaldo – the only member of the United first-team squad who missed Monday’s social event, as he was away at the World Footballer of the Year function – responded with an ice-cool double.
That saw off spirited Everton and kept United hot on the heels of Arsene Wenger’s Premier League pacesetters.
Ferguson said: “I don’t know if he made a mistake today, he was absolutely perfect. It was a marvellous performance from him."
Neil Custis, The Sun

Match reports from United's late win over Everton dominates the Reds' share of the column inches, although The Times also looks at the bigger picture. It quotes Sir Alex as saying the title race is by no means a two-horse race. Liverpool and Chelsea, the Reds boss says, are still very much in with a shout. No mention of fourth-placed Manchester City though…

And after a week when footballers have made headlines for all the wrong reasons, former United midfielder and current Everton captain Phil Neville has spoken of players' responsibilities as role models. In The Mirror, he talks not only about responsible drinking habits but also the need to stamp out swearing on the pitch and encourage greater respect of referees. "For young kids coming through, it's only right for them to look at us as examples," Neville said. "We need to improve."
Round up by Nick Coppack

24/12/2007 18:04, Report by Nick Coppack

Keane: Mind on the job

Roy Keane insists there'll be no room for sentiment when his Sunderland side welcome the Reds to the Stadium of Light on Boxing Day.

Keane, who spent 12 years at United, is still afforded hero status on the terraces at Old Trafford and United's travelling support will undoubtedly pay vocal tribute to the Black Cats boss on Wednesday afternoon.

But Keane, 36, has warned Reds fans not to expect too big a reaction.

"United are a top club with great supporters but we're in a professional business," Keane told Sunderland's official website. "You don't get sucked into an old pals' act. It's nothing to do with personal feelings; it's about Sunderland. We want to win the game, we need the points. I'm not a great one for looking back."

Keane's team have won just two of their last 13 games, with last weekend's late loss to Reading leaving the Black Cats in the relegation zone.
24/12/2007 20:39, Report by Nick Coppack

Manucho: High hopes

Angolan striker Manucho has spoken of his delight at securing a deal that should see the 24-year-old join the Reds after January's African Cup of Nations.

The centre-forward, who has topped the Angola league's scoring charts for the past two seasons playing with Petro Atletico Luanda, told MUTV he's living in dreamland after agreeing to a move to Old Trafford.

"I have been a fan of Manchester United from when I was very young so now I will work very hard to get into the first team," Manucho said.

"I am very happy to be here and I have worked very hard to make my dream a reality. I have found the adaptation easy because all the players have given me their support… and players like Cristiano Ronaldo, Nani and Anderson all speak my language [Portuguese]."

Although Manucho's work permit still needs to be granted, United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is confident the player has the necessary traits to make an impact in the Barclays Premier League.

"He's a very quick, aggressive forward, a big lad about 6"2'," Sir Alex told MUTV. "We've had him on trial for three weeks and he's done very well. We're delighted to have made an agreement with his football team."

Manucho isn't expected to see much first-team action this season, although Sir Alex conceded it all depends on how well he settles into life at United.

"I think he'll need a few months to adjust," he said. "In saying that, he's done very well in training and you never know how players will
progress.

"I said the same thing about Ole Gunnar Solskjaer when he arrived. I thought I'd give him a year or two in the Reserves but after three or four games he was in the first team.

"It all boils down to the boy himself, how he adapts to the change and how he commits himself to learning. Every young player has to learn."

24/12/2007 18:04, Report by Nick Coppack

Keane: Mind on the job

Roy Keane insists there'll be no room for sentiment when his Sunderland side welcome the Reds to the Stadium of Light on Boxing Day.

Keane, who spent 12 years at United, is still afforded hero status on the terraces at Old Trafford and United's travelling support will undoubtedly pay vocal tribute to the Black Cats boss on Wednesday afternoon.

But Keane, 36, has warned Reds fans not to expect too big a reaction.

"United are a top club with great supporters but we're in a professional business," Keane told Sunderland's official website. "You don't get sucked into an old pals' act. It's nothing to do with personal feelings; it's about Sunderland. We want to win the game, we need the points. I'm not a great one for looking back."

Keane's team have won just two of their last 13 games, with last weekend's late loss to Reading leaving the Black Cats in the relegation zone.

27/12/2007 09:54, Report by Gemma Thompson

Boss expects Wazza goal rush

Sir Alex Ferguson believes Wayne Rooney's eighth strike of the season at Sunderland - his first in six games since returning from an ankle injury - could spark another goal rush.

The striker netted seven times in seven games during October and November and also bagged two goals for England during that period.

A freak training ground accident in mid-November, which ruled him out for three weeks, derailed the 22-year-old somewhat, but Sir Alex believes his Boxing Day opener at the Stadium of Light could be the catalyst to another good run of goalscoring form.

"I have said before that strikers do go on little runs like that," the boss told MUTV. "It is his first goal for six games, but his goals have come in waves.

"When he got his recent injury, he was out for nearly a month and since then, he has been gradually getting towards what we have seen of him against Sunderland."

27/12/2007 09:22, Report by Gemma Thompson

Wenger not worried by Reds

Arsene Wenger insists he is not worried about his side's title chances after the Gunners relinquished top spot to United on Boxing Day.

Arsenal could only manage a 0-0 draw at Portsmouth in the day's evening kick-off having seen the Reds thrash Sunderland 4-0 at the Stadium of Light.

Wenger admits he would prefer to be in pole position, but is unfazed by the swap in positions at the Premier League summit.

"I prefer to be in front, but with one point difference that is not that big a deal. We have only lost one game so you will have problems to convince me that we are in a crisis."

Arsenal will be hoping for a positive result at Goodison Park on Saturday, having picked up just two points from their three previous away games.

"I believe that if we just try and focus on our performances and get a good result at Everton then everything is alright," added Wenger.

"If we go six months again unbeaten then we will be champions."

26/12/2007 18:04, Report by Adam Bostock

Park makes a positive return

Ji-sung Park gave United another Boxing Day boost when he made his first appearance since injuring his knee against Blackburn Rovers in March.

The South Korean put the misery of almost nine months on the sidelines behind him when he came on for Cristiano Ronaldo in the Reds' 4-0 win at Sunderland.

Sir Alex Ferguson was delighted to see Ji back on the pitch, especially in this busy period.

"I was delighted with Ji-sung Park's performance," Sir Alex told MUTV.

"It was an important day for him. He came on and got more than half an hour under his belt so we are all pleased with him."

Park looked his usual busy self on the right side of midfield and showed no signs of his extended absence.

"He's a natural mover," Sir Alex added. "When his team passes the ball he moves - he's always had a great talent for that and today was another great example of that.

"He kept moving, he kept passing, he kept running behind the Sunderland defence. He gave us a lot of energy today and it was good to see."
26/12/2007 14:30, Report by Adam Bostock

Saha praises strike partner

United's number nine was delighted to be back in the starting eleven at Sunderland, especially in the presence of an in-form number ten.

Louis Saha was full of praise for the man who set up his first goal since September. The Frenchman told MUTV: "Wayne (Rooney) was unbelievable, for his movement and the way he controlled the game for us. It was a winning performance."

Saha's near-post volley from Rooney's left-wing cross doubled the Reds' early advantage at the Stadium of Light. Rooney himself had scored the first goal, while the third was fired home by Cristiano Ronaldo - and all this before half-time.

Saha said: "Going into an atmosphere like the one you can have at Sunderland's stadium, it was very important to make a good start. That's what we did and I think we scored at good moments. I think we were very professional."

United barely eased off after the break, although they added just one more goal to their tally when Nani was fouled in the area. With Ronaldo substituted, Saha stepped up to score the penalty and claim a confidence-boosting double.

"I needed to get back to the basics as a striker which is obviously scoring goals," admitted Saha. "I had a couple of chances today and it's good to be on the scoresheet."

Sir Alex Ferguson said of Saha's two goals: "They will do his confidence the world of good, as will completing the full 90 minutes. I thought he and Wayne linked well. Our front players were a real threat today."
27/12/2007 09:26, Report by Adam Bostock

Transfer Rumours: Dec 07

Sir Alex Ferguson could be going home to Glasgow for his next signing if the UK's tabloid newspapers are to be believed.

The Sun claims a right-back is United's priority and names Rangers and Scotland defender Alan Hutton as a potential £6m target.

The same newspaper also suggests two players could be leaving Old Trafford when the window opens: "Chinese striker Dong Fangzhuo has not impressed while Wes Brown has refused a new deal."

Other players being linked with United include Reading left-back Nicky Shorey, Lokomotiv Moscow defender Branislav Ivanovic and Tottenham striker Dimitar Berbatov - would Sir Alex really part with Brown, Louis Saha and £6m to buy the Bulgarian? Have your say at www.manutd.com/messageboard.

Arrival? Alan Hutton"All the attributes are there, he just needs to sort out the silly tackles to become the best British right-back."

- Rab Saunders, Talking Reds

ARRIVALS
Player NameCurrent ClubPositionFeeAlan HuttonGlasgow RangersDefender£6millionRead the rumour
Dimitar BerbatovTottenhamStrikerSwap + £6m*Discuss here
RonaldinhoBarcelonaForward£15millionDiscuss here
Nicky ShoreyReadingDefenderUndisclosedDiscuss here
Stevan JoveticPartizan BelgradeStrikerUndisclosedDiscuss here
Branislav IvanovicLokomotiv MoscowDefender£10millionDiscuss here

DEPARTURES
Player NameLinked WithPositionFeeFangzhuo DongNot statedStrikerNot statedRead the rumour
Wes BrownTottenhamDefenderSwap deal*Discuss here
Louis SahaTottenhamStrikerSwap deal*Discuss here
返回列表