返回列表 回復 發帖

City target Jo and Ronaldinho

Brazilian striker Jo is set to follow Mark Hughes to Manchester City - and Ronaldinho may not be far behind.
City held off completing any new signings until Hughes' approval was gained following the Welshman's decision to quit Blackburn but now Hughes has given his consent to the move for Jo, the CSKA Moscow striker who won his single international cap against Turkey last year, to go ahead.
"We have had a conversation with Mark Hughes about this because we wanted to see what he felt but it would be fair to say we expect to see Jo at Manchester City," said the new executive chairman Garry Cook.
However, it is a deal to sign Ronaldinho from Barcelona which would really enthuse a City support disenchanted with life under owner Thaksin Shinawatra following the dismissal of Sven-Goran Eriksson.
It now looks as though the former FIFA World Footballer of the Year will leave the Nou Camp this summer.
And although Cook accepts there is still plenty of competition for the 28-year-old's signature, City appear to be well placed to complete the signing.
"Ronaldinho is one of the greatest players that has ever played," said Cook.
"We want to bring the best players to our football club. It is well documented that we are well down that path, but we also know it is a very competitive landscape.
"But I would like to see him here, Mark Hughes would like to see him here and I think the fans would too."
On the subject of the Brazilian duo, Hughes said: "There's a lot of talk about the quality of players that can come here. If they're available at the right price I will be interested."
Hughes also insisted at his unveiling at the club's Carrington training ground today that there was never any chance he would take over at Chelsea.
The former Wales coach was confirmed as the new City boss yesterday, after speculation that the London club could be ready to step in and hijack the deal proved unfounded.
"Once Manchester City made their intentions known I was very focused on getting the opportunity to come to the club," he told a press conference broadcast on Sky Sports News.
"From the time their intention was shown, I had the opportunity to speak to Garry and members of the board, and it's been very quick and very clear to me that there is a huge project here that I want to be part of, so it was an easy decision."
Hughes, who is to bring "a number" of his backroom staff from Blackburn, revealed he had already spoken to controversial club owner Thaksin.
"He wished me well. I had a brief conversation with him and he's very excited by his ambition for the club."
Of his time at Blackburn, he added: "I had a fantastic time at Blackburn.
"It was difficult on occasions with the amount of finance available - I knew limit to how far I could take club and it's a case now that I'm at club that can match my ambitions."
Hughes was adamant he would thrive on the pressure to succeed at City.
Club owner Thaksin demonstrated his ruthless streak by dismissing Eriksson this week, one year into a three-year deal, despite leading the club to a top-10 finish.
"There is always pressure, every Premier League manager is under pressure. It's a results-driven business and you are judged on results and the key decisions you take," he said.
"It doesn't faze me - it's something you have to work with and you have to thrive on it."
Asked to describe his management style, Hughes told Sky Sports News: "My passion and my drive is there for all to see. If you see how my teams play you see that the work that I do has a positive impact, and that is what I'm trying to bring to Man City.
"I'll back my ability against most managers in the Premier League and I have already intimated that I think my management team is one of the best in the Premier League, and I think we can make an impact here. if I didn't think that I wouldn't have come here.
"I'm very demanding (with players) on a day-to-day basis and I expect a certain level to be attained.
"I'm consistent with players, they know exactly how far they can go. Once they understand my philosophy, if they embrace that they will thrive."
返回列表