返回列表 回復 發帖

Young backs Villa for Europe

Ashley Young believes Aston Villa can make a real impact in Europe if they can overcome their Intertoto Cup hurdle.
Young brought down the curtain on a memorable season by making his third appearance for England in Sunday's friendly international with Trinidad and Tobago in Port of Spain.
That followed on from the former Watford player being named in the PFA Barclays Premier League team of the season after scoring eight goals and also creating 17 - an 'assists' figure only surpassed by Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas.
Now Young wants to put the icing on the cake by helping Martin O'Neill's side qualify for the UEFA Cup.
Young said: "I said from day one when I arrived at Aston Villa that this is a massive club that needs European football.
"We showed a lot of character and a real 'never-say-die' attitude last season and we deserved a top-six finish.
"Hopefully we can get through the Intertoto Cup and progress to the UEFA Cup. Then we have a chance to really make an impact in Europe and that's what every player at the club wants.
"That will mean a lot more games but I'm sure the manager is looking to strengthen the squad this summer so we're better prepared for that."
Young added: "I was pleased with my form this season. I set myself goals and targets and achieved quite a lot of them.
"On a personal level I was also called up to the senior England team so that was a massive progression for me and I'll be looking to earn more caps next season.
"The only way I'll stay in the England squad is by doing well for my club.
"It was a fantastic season for me and for the team in general. If anybody had said we'd get a place in the Intertoto Cup with a chance of getting through to the UEFA Cup, we'd have taken it.
"I've really enjoyed the season, it's been brilliant. Now I'm just looking forward to a break and then I can gear up for next season."
好      知道
子曰:自行束滫以上,吾未尝无诲焉。
返回列表